If you’re thinking of building/renovating, or buying an existing house, come and experience our passive home. You’ll find out what a differerence 2 Stars above the minimum 6 can make to your energy consumption and your comfort.
In early 2014, making the decision to build a passive off-grid home was easy, but at the time, not altogether altruistic – we were a pair of busy IT professionals caught in the hamster wheel, and the question of living sustainably hadn’t come onto our radar. That was, however, not until we bought our little patch of Australia.
Much to our dismay, connecting to the grid, with a stobie pole less than 300m away, was quoted to be $450,000! “Holy Electrons!*@!,” Batman said to Catwoman, “how can we find that kind of cash?”, and so, our foray into the world of sustainable living began, albeit with some trepidation, followed closely by plenty of research, then the hard work, and culminating in 2015 with a result far greater than we ever thought possible:
- An amazingly comfortable home in which to live (passive year-round temperatures not less than 16 or greater than 26 degrees Celcius)
- A lifestyle with minimal waste
- A CFS BAL19-compliant retreat
- A sense of contribution toward greater environmental issues, and a new career!
If you’re curious about what it really means to live in a passive home, come and find out how:
- Our 150m2, 7.9 Star, off-grid passive home consumes three to four times less energy than the average home* in our area
- It is powered by 3kW solar, a bank of batteries and a backup generator, providing us with 11kWh of useable energy per day
- We love SA summers without air conditioning
- We kept costs down with trade-offs and a few long days/nights/weekends labouring, e.g. we have repurposed a $400 Gumtree kitchen to compensate for $10,000 worth of polished thermal mass for heating and cooling.
* Sourced from AER benchmark data for homes in areas with a postcode of 5052, 5152 and 5157, with 2 to 4 people, no pool, no mains gas, giving consumption comparison of 16 – 22kWh/day.
This house achieved 7.9 Stars using FirstRate5 software, to find out more about the NatHERS (Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme) click here